Monday, September 01, 2008

Update on Dad-August 31

Well, I guess this update is actually from Sept 1, as it is 12:42 and I am up and updating. I have trouble sleeping when Rob is gone and Dad is in the hospital...funny thing...

Anyway, Dad was doing MUCH better today. He was awake and aware when the girls and I visited him, as a matter of fact he called me on my cell phone bright and early this morning, so I knew he was feeling better! Unfortunately I could hardly understand him on the phone (he is difficult under the best of circumstances) and so I got that he did not know we were there yesterday (not a surprise as he seemed very sleepy) and he wanted to seem some family. I let him know that David would be there this AM and the girls and I would be down later.

When we got there he seemed very awake and lucid, and he seemed very happy to hear about the girls starting school, etc. His voice is VERY weak, but he says his throat is not sore from the vent tube. He mentioned that they had tried to get him up, and that it scared him that his knees buckled under him. I reminded him that he has been VERY sick for 12 days now, and that it was to be expected that he would be weak...just give it time. I heard later from David that he had had the same conversation earlier in the day.

So all in all he is definitely improving, but not yet ready to leave the CVICU. The main issues, the pneumonia and the intestinal bleeding have seemed to have greatly improved, and that is what we have been praying for.

Before we left, we said a prayer as we always do. This time Avery wanted to say the prayer, and she asked God to protect and heal Grandpa. Then when she was done Dad asked to join in the prayer, and thanked God for blessing him with the "wonderful family he has" that has "carried him through his difficulties". I thank God he has given me such a wonderful example for a Father.

More updates tomorrow.

No comments: