Wednesday, August 27, 2008

First Day of School-2008

Well, I have to say that first day of school is kind of bittersweet for me. I'm so excited to see my kids starting out with the adventures of a new year (and watching their EXTREME excitement about it...especially Avery this year as she is entering Kindergarten!) But every year I drive away from the school after dropping them off a little teary. One year closer to having them leave the nest and be grown up.

 


I know, I know...why worry about that when they are only in Kindergarten and 4th grade? Well, it's because I know how fast these first few years have gone by, and it seems that each year goes by a little faster.

 


Avery was SO excited, and finally the day was here to put on her uniform, new shoes, and her big back pack full of all her new school supplies and new lunch box. We all walked to school together, and dropped Zoey off first in her class (she's an old hand at this) and then went to Mrs. Kahler's room to drop off Avery. Mrs. Kahler's room is so organized...with bins for all the supplies and check-off sheets for everything. Ahh...the smell of a fresh box of crayons...takes you back.

 


After the bell rang I went and took one more peek in Zoey's room and this is what I saw (she sits right by the door, which was open). She just looks so pretty and grown up to me (even though I had to beg her to wear the same outfit as her sister...I'm sure this will be the last time I see her in a dress this year...).

 


Then Andrea and I went to the "Boo Hoo" breakfast for Kindergarten parents, but after eating a yogurt and some orange juice we decided to leave...heck, we've been through this before and didn't want to sit and listen to the talk. We went out to the corner and watched all 4 of our girls, lined up with their classes and walking to first day chapel. The Kindergartners looked really tiny, and the 4th graders looked just a little too grown up. It made me think of my Mom, and how much she would have loved to see it as she was a Kindergarten teacher for all of those years herself. Dad would have loved it too for that matter.

We're off to another school year! 40 weeks of homework??? Times 2??? Hmmm...
Posted by Picasa

No comments: