Monday, February 04, 2008

Karen Maureen Misenhimer Monson...9/16/36-1/21/08

Well, here she is. My Mom. My Mother. The beautiful woman that brought me into this world. And wiped my nose (and butt) and fed and clothed me and taught me pretty much everything I know that matters. Actually, everything that REALLY matters. Thank you Mom.

My Mom was a teacher. From the word go. She taught so many children, to read, to do math, to write. Just to be good citizens. All of the things you learn in the primary grades. Your basic tool kit for the world in so many ways. And she taught those skills to hundreds, actually over a 40+ year career probably closer to 1000+s of children. Citizens of our planet, and leaders of our future world. But I never sat in her classroom as a student. I was one of the three lucky ones to have her be my teacher of ALL aspects of my world. Not just the acedemic ones.

She taught me about love. Love for each other, love for animals, love for LIFE, and most importantly, love for Christ. She was a faithful and loving wife of almost 52 years, and was a caregiver for her disabled husband for over a decade, under such difficult conditions. No, she was not a saint, never complaining, but she was REAL, and expressed her frustration, and exhaustion, as she cared for a husband that became ill too early in their married life. How many times I thought how horrible it was that they were never able to enjoy their retirement together and travel the world as they should have done after a lifetime of hard work. That was not to be.

She loved animals. She was so patient with me as I worked at animal hospitals for over 16 years, and so often brought home little cardboard boxes with some precious life inside of it. She would groan "what now..." and rush over to see what tiny creature I had brought home that needed our help. She NEVER said no. What lessons that taught me about life, and how even the smallest creatures deserved my care and attention.

She taught me to love the Lord. She was always active in every church we ever attended, and sometimes dragged my teenage butt out of bed to attend. She made sure I knew the scriptures, even when we lived in Saudi Arabia and attending church was illegal. She would make sure we went...EVERY FRIDAY (in the Middle East Friday is the day of rest) and augmented my "Sunday School" learning with teachings of her own. We went to a service in a gym...where we had to shred the bullitens upon exit lest they be discovered, and yet she made sure we went every week, no matter what. I learned that living your religion was a privledge, not a right, and it was something to be treasured and cultivated. Not just a given. THANK YOU, Mom.


But the most important thing she ever taught me was about being a Mom. Of course I learned from her example, a lifetime of how she raised her kids. But I had NO idea, until I became a Mother, of the lessons I had yet to learn. I feel SO LUCKY and blessed, and grateful that my Mom could be with us in the delivery room at the birth of both of my daughters. She was there to hold my hand and Will me through the pain. She brought her knitting at the birth of Zoey, my first, as she knew it would be a long night. And she was right. Twenty-one hours later she watched her being born, and told me later that her heart had stopped at the sight of my slightly blue baby. That took a deep breath a minute later and turned pink. But those minutes of stillness were some of the most terrifying of her life she told me later. And it went on from there. When my girls were sick I called Mom. She would tell me what to do. When they had an issue at school, I called Mom. And she would reassure me. And she was always there to spend time with them. To take a slow walk with them and look at the leaves and the flowers. To read book upon book with them and never tire of their questions. To firmly remind them of the way to behave, and not to behave. Everything I know about being a Mom I learned from her. I hope to live up to her example.

So, here she is, and was. I miss her more than I can say. I have cried a river of tears, and am sure an ocean is yet to follow. These few words I put here don't even begin to speak of a wonderful life well lived. She was fragile, and had her faults, but she was ultimately an extremely kind, loving, smart, beautiful Child of God, and I Love her completely. And miss her terribly.

God Bless You Mom
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stef,
your words just make me cry, you write so beautiful about your Mom and I can not even imagine how much you miss her!!! You are in my thoughts!