Wednesday, October 21, 2009

9 Years

***This picture was a ridiculous Photoshop picture I did 9 years ago...shortly after returning from our honeymoon. I took a pic of Rob standing on the beach and stuck him on this surfboard. I don't know why, but even after all of these years this picture makes me laugh. Every time. And wow...honey...I would just like to say that you were a stud muffin back then, but you are in SUCH better shape today...9 years later! I am indeed a lucky girl!*** All of these pictures were taken on our honeymoon, in Hawaii, 9 years ago.





I remember standing on his doorstep...nervous, and sporting purple hair. Less than 2 weeks shy of having my heart ripped out and stepped on, trying to move on from one life to another. I had been cheated on (again) and it had finally been enough. I had gone to the salon to "make a change" (note to self...never go for the complete hair color change in the midst of crisis) and had come out of the salon finding out that my idea of "strawberry blonde" and the stylists were not the same. Not even close. My hair was PURPLE. I had an appointment to go back to the blonde I was...but it was not for a few days. That's when my friend and coworker Debbie overheard me in the break room of Laguna Hills Animal Hospital on the phone at lunch looking for a room to rent. She questioned me about it, knowing I had been engaged, and when I told her the story all she could say was "I HAVE GOT THE GUY FOR YOU!"

So she convinced me, this guy had gone through the same thing, had his heart broken. He was a great guy, she said, and one of her husband's best friends. The more she talked, the more she smiled...and kept saying "This guy is perfect for you!" I was doubtful. After all, I had gone through some nightmare blind dates...all set up by kind hearted friends that just knew "that perfect guy" and wanted to set me up and fix me after my blow. But I knew Debbie was more of a serious girl, someone that just did not do things lightly. I agreed that she could give him my number, and we would go from there. What can I say...I was lonely. We spoke on the phone, me in the tiny office/closet of the small store at the hospital, he was on the golf course. He asked to meet me the next night, at his house. He wanted to make me dinner. He assured me if I was not "ok" with coming to his house we could go out. I trusted Debbie enough to agree to meet him at his new condo.

He opened the door and I will never forget his first words to me in person, "You're gorgeous!" I stood there with purple hair, my self confidence at an all time low, but as soon as I saw his handsome smile and heard his genuine words I felt safe. Comfortable. I went in. We ate his beautiful dinner. We talked. And talked. And talked. At the end of the evening he walked me to my car and asked if he could kiss me. I (of course) agreed. He was the perfect gentleman. It was perfect. But my heart was still raw. And my ability to trust was non-existent.

We saw each other the next day, and the next, and the day after that. When I was not with him, he was on my mind. I remember walking through a department store and going to the men's fragrance section to spray men's "Curve" on my hand...as that was his favorite fragrance. I spent the day drawing my hand to my face to inhale in his scent. I was hooked. Our first year together was a heady mix of partying and love. But we were both damaged, and trust was just not in our hearts. Yet.



All of the other details I will leave for another day. My feeling is this, that God had a plan for Rob and I, and while sometimes the road was bumpy, he lead us along the path he had planned for us. That path caused me to marry my best friend, have 2 beautiful children, and live in the secure world of his arms. I am honored to be his wife. I am blessed to be the mother of his children. I love him completely, and I know he feels the same. Indeed I cannot imagine something better.

Today I write this as your wife of 9 years. And your lover till end's end. And your best friend till sunset's sunset. And your sole mate until our very last sunrise, may that be in the distant, distant future.
Rob, I am madly in love with you. Today--much like yesterday, and very much like tomorrow, I am proud to be your wife.
Happy 9th Anniversary, my love.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: